Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Play yoga!

’m supervising a Chinese student using SKYPE- she’s in training to be a psychoanalyst- and we talk about many things, including breath work and yoga. I visit Shanghai every Tuesday morning on the Internet.

In the US, as you know, we “do yoga.” In China, I am delighted to say, people “play yoga.”

Nevertheless, the first time my student said “play yoga” I was a bit taken aback. “Play” yoga? But I don’t like the idea of “doing” yoga either, it seems a bit stiff, maybe shallow. I always think it should be the other way around- I”m not doing yoga, yoga is doing me- and everybody else.

Swamis are often pretty humorous. My Swamiji, Swami Satchidananda was naturally  playful. I bet he “played” yoga plenty, and that he wanted the rest of us to do the same!

Posted via email from lynnsomerstein's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment